About the movie Broker
Broker is a 2022 South Korean drama film written and directed by Japanese filmmaker Hirokazu Kore-eda, and starring Song Kang-ho, Gang Dong-won, Bae Doona, Lee Ji-eun, and Lee Joo-young. The film revolves around characters associated with baby boxes, which allow infants to be dropped off anonymously to be cared for by others. The film was selected to compete for the Palme d’Or at the 2022 Cannes Film Festival, where it won the Ecumenical Jury Award and the Best Actor Award for Song Kang-ho. It was released on June 8, 2022, in theaters in South Korea.
- Song Kang-ho as Sang-hyun
- Gang Dong-won as Dong-soo
- Bae Doona as Soo-jin
- Lee Ji-eun as So-young
- Lee Joo-young as Young-hee
Plot of the story (synopsis)
Sang-hyun (Song Kang-ho) is a “broker” who runs a business of finding homes for babies left in baby boxes. He is joined by Dong-soo (Gang Dong-won), a former orphanage worker, and Soo-jin (Bae Doona), a police officer who is investigating the baby boxes. The three of them set out to find a home for a baby girl who has been left in a baby box. Along the way, they meet So-young (Lee Ji-eun), the young mother who left the baby. So-young is struggling to make ends meet and is considering giving up her baby for adoption. Sang-hyun, Dong-soo, and Soo-jin offer to help So-young find a home for her baby, but they soon find themselves caught up in a web of lies and deception.
Short profile of the movie
- Genre: Drama
- Director: Hirokazu Kore-eda
- Screenplay: Hirokazu Kore-eda
- Producers: Lee Eugene, Song Dae-Chan
- Cinematographer: Hong Kyung-pyo
- Editing: Kim Sun-min
- Music: Ryuichi Sakamoto
- Country: South Korea
- Language: Korean
- Running time: 129 minutes
What makes Broker stand out
- The film’s compassionate and empathetic look at the lives of people who are often overlooked and marginalized.
- The strong performances from the cast, particularly Song Kang-ho, Gang Dong-won, and Bae Doona.
- The film’s beautiful and evocative cinematography.
- The film’s thought-provoking exploration of the themes of family, love, and loss.
Broker is a moving and powerful film that is sure to stay with you long after you have seen it. It is a film that is both beautiful and thought-provoking, and it is a film that is sure to please fans of Korean cinema and anyone who enjoys a well-made, human-centered drama.